Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

"We interrupt this programming - " Best-of-Show Awards at the 40th Mid-America Bonsai Exhibition

     "We interrupt the scheduled posts to bring you the following report."

I meant to  write another post soon about MABA 2017, but wasn't able to before coming to Chicago for the 2017 Mid-America. I've decided to give you a quick report on the Best-of-Show awards given today by Guest Master Kathy Shaner.

Best of Show, Open Class went to this pomegranate owned and styled by Gary Andes.

Best of Show, Open Class. Punica granatum, common pomegranate. Owner and artist, Gary Andes.
Best of Show, Open Class; a closer view of the tree itself.
Here's what Kathy Shaner had to say about this tree in the Exhibit Critique this evening, from my notes:

  • Great canopy; full but open enough to let light in to keep the interior healthy. (And open enough to draw the eye in. - Inferred by yours truly from an earlier comment of hers.)
  • The relatively plain pot has a restful effect.
  • The contrasting accent plant harmonizes well with the tree.
  • Pomegranate can be difficult, even impossible to grow in some parts of the USA.
  • "I just like it!"

Best of Show, Professional Class winner was this 'Kashima' Japanese maple, owned and styled by Bill Valavanis.

Best of Show, Professional Class. Acer palmatum 'Kashima,' Japanese maple 'Kashima."
Owner and artist, William N. Valavanis.
Best of Show, Professional; a closer view of the tree.
Kathy Shaner's comments on this tree:

  • The stupendous trunk is this tree's outstanding feature. (Tho I think the nebari runs a close  second.)
  • The pot shape draws the eye to the trunk.
  • The mix of harmonizing colors and shapes in the main bonsai and the crab-apple companion plant is very well done.
  • The fruit on the crab-apple gives a touch of seasonality.
  • Her only negative comment: bumpy moss looks out of scale.



My next post will get back to coverage of MABA 2017. But I don't promise not to break in on that lineup again!


:-)  :-)  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment