Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

New Growth in the Morning Sun

     A week or so after our mother passed away, my sister Carol remarked that "Life will now find a new 'normal.'" And so it is proving. For me that includes getting back to the level of involvement in bonsai that I had before, and that was necessarily scaled back as my parents' needs increased. Not that I begrudged that: after all, how many times did they wipe my nose and kiss my skinned knees when I was a child? I Timothy 3:4 became very real to me over the last 2½ years: "...[an adult child] should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for ... [and] repaying their parents ... for this is pleasing to God." (NIV.)

This morning I went up to the deck and snapped a couple of pictures of my yaupon holly bonsai-in-training. This tree has been doing very well since the workshop with Adam Lavigne back in June. I gave it a couple of rape-seed cakes and the same amount of Fort Wayne Bonsai Club Super-Duper Handy-Dandy
Home-Made Fertilizer Cakes, put it in the sun, and it has taken off as if it thinks it's a kudzu! A couple of wired twigs look as if they won't make it, but this tree has broken so many new shoots that replacing them shouldn't be a problem.

My Ilex vomitoria 'Schilling's Dwarf' in the morning sun.
Holding the camera at a little different angle.
I've got a sneakin' suspicion this tree is going to become one of my favorites! 


:-)  :-)  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment