Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Bonsai Presentation Coming Up!

     Last summer, I was scheduled to give a presentation on bonsai at the Kosciusko Community Fair. Then the local Master Gardeners (who invited me in the first place) asked if I would postpone my program until October, so it could be part of their Fall Harvest Series. I agreed.


And it will be the kick-off program for the Fall Harvest Series! I'm not sure how that happened, but I'll take it.
Date: This coming Wednesday, October 2nd.
Time: 7:00 PM (to approximately 8:30.)
Place: The Cooperative Extension Service building; 202 West Main Street, Warsaw, IN; caddy-corner from the courthouse. It looks like a church because it was until  a few years ago. Then the congregation of the First Christian Church built a new building south of the city, and the old one was deconsecrated and sold to the county. 
Theme: Still bonsai with tropicals. I'll review the basics of bonsai first, for any who are not familiar with them, and then move into just how your woody houseplants could make good bonsai. (Well, many of them could.) I'll demonstrate the styling process with the same Ficus microcarpa I planned to use in July; it has kept growing all summer, and is now much bushier and more imposing!

 I have been told that the Fall Harvest programs are open to the public. There is a $5.00 admission fee; I'll do my best to make the program worth the attenders' money!

Here's a current picture. Please forgive the picture quality. I loaned my camera to my daughter for the weekend (church youth retreat,) so this pic was taken with my phone camera, and it's a dark, rainy morning here today. But you can get an idea of how the tree has filled out if you compare it to the picture from three months ago.

The demo tree for Wednesday evening. Picture taken September 29.

Picture taken July 9th.

I may do a second demonstration, if there is time. One of my Ficus salicaria is overdue for repotting; people might like to watch the process.

If you're in or near Warsaw, IN, this Wednesday evening, I'd love to see you pop in!

(P.S. You can see a close-up of the tree's base at this earlier post. )

:-)  :-)  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment