Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Happy Birthday from my Daughter!

     What does the daughter of a bonsai enthusiast get her father for his birthday? If she's my wonderful 12-year-old, a new starter tree!

The garden center even gave her the foil, ribbon, and gift card!

She picked it out herself, and she put some thought into it. The tree is a Picea abies ("Norway spruce" in the USA,) which is fully hardy here. She picked one that is healthy, and has the start of good taper and of a visually interesting nebari. (When I commented on the tree's suitability for bonsai, she answered, "I've listened.")

Norway spruce does well in this part of North America, and is a species I don't yet have in my collection. This tree will need a few years to grow to styling size, but that's OK: in the meanwhile I'll be learning the do's and dont's of the species' care.

Thank you, Little Lady!

:-)  :-)  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Good to see others listening and getting you gifts of bonsai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda. It was a good day, and my daughter is a good kid. (Like any dad, I hope she's also been listening when I talked about other things.)

      Delete