Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Friday, November 16, 2012

After the "Riot in White"

     Like my previous post about the sweet autumn clematis (Clematis terniflora,) this one has nothing to do directly with bonsai. But this climber follows its late-summer bloom with a profusion of seedheads, and again, I thought my readers might enjoy a few pictures. The second show is not as exuberant, but for me it is no less enjoyable. (For the September post, you can click here.)



This year the clematis, after covering its supports, clambered onto a juniper at the corner of the house, and bid fair to overwhelm it! (I'm waiting to see how far the juniper's branches rebound after the clematis is cut back in a few weeks.)

You can see the juniper's main branch in the lower left.

Individual seedheads consist of three to eight seeds, tho five or six is typical. Their shapes remind me of sea stars (close relatives of starfish) or some of the more unusual orchids.

The developing white "fuzz" will let the seeds be dispersed by the wind.

This clematis is an aggressive grower. I think it's worth growing, but be sure to give it sturdy supports.

"Rampant against the sky" seems a fitting caption!
:-)  :-)  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment