Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

"RAIN!"

     That's what people were exclaiming a few days ago around here, when we got the first good rainfall in many weeks. (Good rainfall: the storm of June 30 dumped a half-inch in twenty minutes, too fast for very much of it to soak in.) There was much rejoicing, and not a little thanksgiving for answered prayers.



More than 2-1/2 inches of rainwater collected in this bowl in 24 hours.
The rain started late Wednesday evening and continued off-and-on into the wee hours of Friday. While there were some heavy downpours, much of the time the rain was gentler, which allowed the water to soak into the soil.

This folding canvas chair became a rain-catcher!
I'm not sure how to report the amount of precipitation. The daily estimates on weather.com added up to almost three inches of rain (7-8 cm.) Several friends reported that their rain gauges showed almost three inches. Official sites are another matter: as best I can figure out from their maps, the National Weather Service says we got just over two inches. One way or another, it was more than the total rainfall for all of June and the first half of July!

I admit I was skeptical when Wednesday nite's forecast called for a 60% chance of rain : for weeks such forecasts have turned out to be empty. But I  did set out a few tubs and basins Wednesday evening, just in case, and now I'm glad I did! I use rainwater whenever possible for my yamadori ponderosa; many experienced growers report that ponderosas are sensitive to water quality. I was able to replenish my rainwater supplies nicely. 

I didn't get out and take any pictures until afterward; not that I mind rain, but I wasn't sure how well my camera would capture the images. One or two of these pictures aren't quite of the quality I would like, but I think you can still see what I'd like you to see.


A drop of water grows larger on the "drip tip" of a Ficus salicaria leaf (gray arrow.).
Water beads on the waxy surfaces of Ficus microcarpa leaves.
Indiana is one of the top five US states in production of corn (a.k.a. maize.) This year's crop, tho, is likely beyond saving. There is better hope for the soybeans, which pollinate later than corn.

My wife's gladioli may even give a few blossoms. I expect to have to re-seed the lawn.
The current forecast calls for a 1-in-3 chance of rain over the next 36 hours. Maybe it will come, and there will be puddles for the children to play in.

:-)  :-)  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment